President Biden: Violence Against Asian Americans “Must Stop”!
Dear Friends & Neighbors,
(Please click on red links & note magenta)
For updated global info & data on COVID-19, please click HERE.
For updated global data & graphs on COVID-19, please click HERE.
For COVID-19 cases and death counts in USA by state, please click HERE.
For COVID-19 cases in Florida via Florida COVID Action, please click HERE.
For COVID-19 cases in Florida, via Florida state government, please click HERE.
News Release from U.S Department of the Interior, in italics, below:
Statement from Secretary Haaland Condemning Violence Against AAPI Community
WASHINGTON – In response to increased violence committed against the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) community, including the tragic shootings in Atlanta, Georgia, Interior Secretary Deb Haaland released the following statement:
“My heart goes out to the members of the Asian American and Pacific Islander community as they cope with unspeakable pain from ongoing acts of violence that target their community, including this week’s tragic killings in Atlanta, Georgia. While anti-Asian hate is unfortunately not new, we must acknowledge how xenophobic rhetoric throughout the pandemic has further inflamed anti-Asian racism, misogyny, and violence. The scale and frequency of targeted violence against communities of color is unacceptable and serves as a grim reminder that our long march toward peace and liberation persists. On behalf of the entire Interior Department, I send my deepest condolences to those who have lost loved ones in these tragic acts of senseless, hate-filled attacks.”
President Joe Biden, during his first prime-time address to the nation, said various hate crimes against Asian Americans “must stop”, in the video published on March 11, 2021, “Biden addresses violence toward Asian Americans: “It must stop”“, below:
President Joe Biden’s remarks supporting the Asian American community in the wake of the Atlanta spa shootings, in the video published on March 19, 2021, “CNN’s Amara Walker gets emotional after Biden speech“, below:
President Biden said in a proclamation that all U.S. flags across the country should remain half-staff for victims of metro Atlanta spa shootings until sunset on March 22, 2021, in the video published on March 18, 2021, “Atlanta Shootings: Biden Orders Flags at Half-Staff for Victims“, below:
Even if the sheriff of Atlanta believes that the Atlanta shootings may not be purely racially motivated and bizarrely had more sympathy for the shooter than the victims, Trevor Noah unpacks the racist motivations behind the deadly shootings in Atlanta, leaving eight people, including six Asian women, dead, in the video published on March 17, 2021, “Why We Should’ve Seen the Atlanta Shootings Coming, The Daily Social Distancing Show“, below:
Texas Republican Representative Chip Roy said there will be no apologies after he seemed to glorify lynchings as a form of justice in a House hearing about anti-Asian racism. Kurt Bardella joins to discuss in the video published on March 19, 2021, “Not Sorry: Chip Roy Invokes Lynchings At Anti-Asian Hate Hearing, The 11th Hour, MSNBC“, below:
Chip Roy is confused, out of his mind, and has no business in being a Congressman of the United States. He needs to resign.
Here are some suggestions hopefully will help protect Asian Americans against any hate crimes:
- Developing community outreach programs to help develop support systems for senior Asian Americans, providing/matching young companions with senior Asian Americans for group grocery trips or outings.
- Boosting voters registration to help vote for universal background checks and waiting period of at least 72 hours to receive any gun purchase for all 50 states so to prevent any one who “just had a bad day” from going on a killing spree (the shooter in Atlanta had a bad day, purchased his gun, and went on a killing spree, all happened on the same day and he was on his way to Florida). In state of Florida, there is a waiting period of whichever is the longer of either 3 business days or until background checks clear unless the purchaser has a concealed carry permit, is trading in a different firearm, the purchase is for a rifle or shotgun and the purchaser has completed a 16-hour hunter safety class in addition to holding a hunter safety certification card, or the purchaser is law enforcement or military.
- Developing regional Legal Defense Fund for Asian Americans to increase better understanding of the legal system and procedures, so to increase better understanding of their rights and decrease fear to come forward.
- So Asian Americans would come forward to bring charges to lead to prosecution if/when hate crimes occur.
- Developing an online directory of all Asian American attorneys (names, contact information, and their respective areas of expertise) in all cities so to be easily accessible to any one and every one.
For Asian American residents in Greater Orlando area seeking counsel or trying to better understand the legal procedures, you may reach Greater Orlando Asian American Bar Association (GOAABA) by visiting GOAABA Facebook page by clicking HERE or their web site by clicking HERE.
Gathered, written, and posted by Windermere Sun-Susan Sun Nunamaker More about the community at www.WindermereSun.com
~Let’s Help One Another~
Please also get into the habit of checking at these sites below for more on solar energy topics: