Can Superintelligent AI Help Us To Reach Type 1 Civilization?
Dear Friends & Neighbors,
(Please click on red links & note magenta)For updated global info & data on COVID-19, please click HERE. For updated global data & graphs on COVID-19, please click HERE. For COVID-19 cases and death counts in USA by state, please click HERE. For COVID-19 cases in Florida via Florida COVID Action, please click HERE. For COVID-19 cases in Florida, via Florida state government, please click HERE.
Elon Musk has expressed worry about the advent of a digital superintelligent AI numerous times now. He has put solid solutions to the AI control problem. One of which is the merging scenario with AI. But first Elon Musk, is focused on making sure humanity makes the transition to renewable energy, which is the first right step towards becoming a type 1 civilization. Musk suggested that if we can’t achieve a self-sustaining civilization on Earth, our fate will likely be extinction. Elon however has a plan. He founded Tesla Energy, a company that produces battery packs for homes, businesses, and utilities, and Tesla Motors, which produces electric cars. According to Elon the world would require battery production of 20 to 25 Terawatt-hours over the course of 15 to 20 years. The solution, Musk explained, is advancements in battery technology. Tesla’s new cell design is expected to reduce the cost per kilowatt-hour by half. Elon Musk’s most important Company is Neuralink. His goal with Neuralink is to build ultra-high bandwidth brain-computer interfaces for human mind and eventually giving humans the option to achieve a symbiosis with artificial intelligence. This will enable humanity to avoid the extinction of the human race due to increasingly powerful AI advancements. Unpredictable consequences of AI is probably the biggest concern of the top AI researchers. Being a Type 1 civilization means we would have complete control over all the energy on Earth . We would need to be able to model, understand, replicate, and control all the energy on Earth. It might take a few hundreds of years, but that is a small amount of time on the timescale of the universe, in the video “Elon Musk: Can Superintelligence AI Help us Reach Type 1 Civilization?“, below:.
- A Type I civilization, also called a planetary civilization—can use and store all of the energy available on its planet.
- A Type II civilization, also called a stellar civilization—can use and control energy at the scale of its planetary system.
- A Type III civilization, also called a galactic civilization—can control energy at the scale of its entire host galaxy.
- Type I
- Technological level of a civilization that is “close to the level presently attained on Earth, with energy consumption at ≈4×1019 erg/sec” (4×1012 watts). Currently, the civilization of Type I is usually defined as one that can harness all the energy that falls on a planet from its parent star (for Earth–Sun system, this value is close to 1.74×1017 watts), which is about four orders of magnitude higher than the amount presently attained on Earth, with energy consumption at ≈2×1013 watts. The astronomer Guillermo A. Lemarchand stated this as a level near contemporary terrestrial civilization with an energy capability equivalent to the solar insolation on Earth, between 1016 and 1017 watts.
- Type II
- A civilization capable of harnessing the energy radiated by its own star—for example, the stage of successful construction of a Dyson sphere—with energy consumption at ≈4×1033 erg/sec. Lemarchand stated this as a civilization capable of using and channeling the entire radiation output of its star. The energy use would then be comparable to the luminosity of the Sun, about 4×1033 erg/sec (4×1026 watts).
- Type III
- A civilization in possession of energy at the scale of its own galaxy, with energy consumption at ≈4×1044 erg/sec. Lemarchand stated this as a civilization with access to the power comparable to the luminosity of the entire Milky Way galaxy, about 4×1044 erg/sec (4×1037 watts).