Florida Governor Ron DeSantis News Conference Regarding COVID-19
Dear Friends & Neighbors,
(Please click on red links & note magenta)
For updated global info & data on COVID-19, please click HERE.
For updated global data & graphs on COVID-19, please click HERE.
For COVID-19 cases and death counts in USA by state, please click HERE.
For COVID-19 cases in Florida via Florida COVID Action, please click HERE.
For COVID-19 cases in Florida, via Florida state government, please click HERE.
Full news conference of Florida Governor Ron DeSantis discusses 2020-2021 school year on Wednesday, July 22, 2020, in the video , “FULL NEWS CONFERENCE: Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis discusses 2020-21 school year on Wednesday“, below:
Text of Governor DeSantis’ address, in italics, below:
I stand here tonight not only as Governor of Florida but as a husband, a father, a son and a friend.
To have a conversation about how we as Floridians approach these challenging times.
Floridians from all walks of life have been asked to do a lot to help fight the coronavirus pandemic. Jobs have been lost. Businesses have been shuttered. Families have been separated. Our kids have seen their normal routines turned upside down.
As the prevalence of the virus has increased over the past many weeks, fear and anxiety have increased as well. There is fear of the virus, of course. But also apprehension about what it means for families, jobs, and education as we approach the school year.
The choice before us is whether we face our challenges with determination and resolve, guided by evidence…. OR….. whether we allow ourselves to become paralyzed by fear.
Fear doesn’t help us combat the virus; the stress and apprehension it fosters just makes our health situation worse and knocks society on its heels.
We have to fight the virus by being laser-focused on protecting our populations most vulnerable to COVID-19 – such as our elderly residents in long-term care facilities – while also ensuring that our state continues to function. We cannot do one to the exclusion of the other.
This virus isn’t political and doesn’t care which political party you belong to. Together, we will persevere. Together, we will get through this difficult chapter.
I’m here to tell you that things will get better when it comes to the coronavirus. They will get better because you have undertaken great efforts to protect yourself, your loved ones, your employees, colleagues, friends and neighbors.
You followed state guidelines by physically distancing, exercising proper hygiene, wearing a facial covering and avoiding high-risk environments. Our senior citizens, in particular, have been admirably cautious in their activities.
Please keep it up. It will pay dividends.
As a parent of three, I know that my fellow parents here in Florida want nothing more than to provide a bright future for their children.
This includes providing the best possible education for every child in our state. Our fight against COVID shouldn’t lead us to unnecessarily deprive our kids of the tools they need to succeed.
Here’s the hard truth:
Our kids are at the least risk from this virus
Our kids also play the smallest role in transmission of the virus
Yet, it is our kids who have born the harshest burden of our control measures
It is often asked whether it is safe to return kids to school, but it should also be asked how safe is it to keep schools closed?
You can bet your bottom dollar that keeping schools closed will:
–exacerbate existing achievement gaps between demographic groups
–lead to more kids dropping out of school
–disproportionally impact the least economically affluent Floridians
–foster more social isolation, depression and anxiety
–harm students with special needs
–deprive students of the ability to engage in sports and extracurricular activities
While the risks to students from in-person learning are low, the costs of keeping schools closed are enormous.
Distance learning was a stopgap measure adopted at a time when there was still uncertainty about the role of children in spreading the virus.
Florida did better than most states with distance learning, but it is a far cry from in-person instruction and placed a tremendous burden on parents.
We also know more than we did then… people forget that Florida never closed day cares during the pandemic and there is no evidence of this accelerating the spread of the virus. And the experience in other countries suggests that open schools is not a major factor in the transmission of the virus in the community.
I believe we owe every Florida parent a choice to send your child back to school for in-person instruction or to opt to maintain distance learning.
The evidence that schools can be opened in a safe way is overwhelming, yet I also understand the apprehension that some parents may feel and I believe in empowering them with a choice.
No parent should be required to send their child to in-person instruction if they do not want to.
I also believe that special accommodations must be made for all students with significant health issues who may be more at-risk from the virus.
I know many teachers and faculty are chomping at the bit to get back in the classroom because they know how much their students depend on their tutelage.
We support you and want you to feel safe. Safety precautions have been made for those who have worked throughout the pandemic — from health care workers to grocery store clerks – and I’m confident the same can be made for our educators.
For those teachers who may be higher risk or even those who just don’t feel comfortable with in-person instruction, they should be given the option of working remotely. Why force someone to teach if they are uncomfortable doing so?
Let’s find a way to make due.
And if a school district needs to delay the school year for a few weeks so that everything will be in good shape, have at it. The important things is that our parents have a meaningful choice when it comes to in-person education.
To our students – you are the future of Florida. Every generation has made sacrifices so that the next generation would have the ability to thrive.
We cannot be the generation that deprives you of the opportunity to live up to your God-given potential.
We can best fight the virus by having a healthy, functioning society and that especially includes our schools.
Let’s not let fear get the best of us – and harm our children in the process.
We must stay strong. For we will succeed.
Thank you and God bless you.
On Tuesday, July 21, 2020, Florida Education Association President Fredrick Ingram says the union is suing Governor Ron DeSantis over his executive order mandating schools reopen in person, in the video “Florida teachers union sues Governor DeSantis over decision to reopen schools“, below:
Florida Education Association Demands:
- Adequate protective gear
- Reduced class sizes
- Hand-sanitizing stations
- Increased staff & clinic capabilities
- Plexiglass shields where necessary
You may also be interested in these other posts, below:
- COVID-19 Update: Early Results Suggest Vaccine Safe, Triggers Increased Antibodies & T-Cell Immune Response
- White House Takes Aim At Top Infectious Disease Expert Dr. Anthony Fauci
- COVID-19 Update: Trump Wears Mask, Florida With Highest Daily # Of Cases, Phoenix Of Az Is The Hotspot
- New York State Utilize HEPA Air Filtration Systems To Combat COVID-19
- Andrew Yang Advocates For Tim Ryan-Ro Khanna’s H.R.6496- “Emergency Money For The People Act”
- Governor DeSantis Says Florida Remains Reopened & Extension Of Temporary Ban On Evictions & Foreclosures Til Aug. 1, 2020
- Americans, Wear Your/Our Face Masks! COVID-19 Surge Worse Than Ever, FL & TX Roll Back Reopening
- Apple Re-Closing Some Stores Due To COVID-19
- To Mask Or Not To Mask, That Is The Question
- Florida Residents Need To Be Quarantined For 2 Weeks If Visiting NY, NJ, CT
- Trump To Accept GOP Nomination In Jacksonville/57% Worried That Convention Will Spur COVID-19 Outbreak
- Trump Wants To Slow Testing, His Top Health Officials Disagree
- FDA Advises Against Hand Sanitizers With Methanol
- PayPal Announced $530 Million Commitment To Support Black & Minority Businesses Impacted By Pandemic & Unrest
- Tulsa Indoor Rally Attendees Had To Sign Waivers
- Residents Of Orange County, FL Are Required To Wear Face Masks, Starting Saturday, 6/20/2020
- Legoland (6/1), Universal (6/5), SeaWorld (6/11), & Disney (7/11 & 7/15) Theme Parks Will Reopen
- What Is Re-Opened At Disney Spring?
- What Is Re-Opened At City Walk (Equivalent Of Disney Springs For Universal Studios)
- Windermere Virtual Town Hall, Tues.& Thurs., 2:30 PM
- We Need Factual Data From Florida & Every Where
- Central Floridian Ladies Holding Thriving Conversation
- Daniel Webster On Florida’s Reopening
- President Trump Says He Is Taking Hydroxychloroquine
- As Our Graduates Of 2020 Look Into The Future
- Useful Information During COVID-19 Time, 5/18/2020
- Former President Obama’s Reminder
- How Vitamin D Helps To Boost Immune System
- Dr. Anthony Fauci Discussing Reopening
- There Will Be Meat Shortage In USA
- Florida Governor Ron DeSantis Announces New COVID-19 Testing Options For Florida
- Why Republicans Will Face Difficulty In November
- Coronavirus Global Response International Pledging Event Has One Goal: Defeat COVID-19, Started On May 4, 2020
- Yuval Noah Harari On How Coronavirus Might Change Our World After The Pandemic
- Governor Ron DeSantis Orders Investigation Of Florida’s Unemployment System
- Senate Back In Session, May 4, 2020, Amid COVID-19 Pandemic
- Groceries During COVID-19 Pandemic
- What You Need To Know About Face Masks
- White House Does Not Allow Dr. Fauci Testify Before House Committees, But Allows Him To Testify Before Senate
- Banks Providing Assistance To Customers Impacted By COVID-19
- Oversight Is Needed For Paycheck Protection Program
- VP Mike Pence Defying Mayo Clinic Face Mask Rule During Visit, Sending Mixed Messages
- How To Exit Lockdown
- Do Not Take Disinfectants Internally!
- Almost 20 States Set To Reopen Soon
- Why Is America’s COVID-19 Deaths So High?
- Y Of Central Florida Providing Community Food & Supplies, 4/30
- Paycheck Protection Program And Health Care Enhancement Act Is Signed
- Orange County’s Economic Recovery Task Force First Meeting
- People In Florida & USA Helping One Another
- VA Study Finds No Benefit In Treating COVID-19 Patients With Hydroxychloroquine
- Trump Temporarily Suspends Immigration To U.S.
- Historical: US Oil Prices Crash Down To Negative As Demand Dries Up
- Read A Letter
- Windermere Virtual Town Hall Meeting For COVID-19 Updates & Q&A: 4/20, 4/22, 4/24, 4/27
- COVID-19 Sunday Special Update
- Music, COVID-19 Style
- Sharing “One World: Together At Home” Special & “The Prayer”
- Be Careful, Beach Goers!
- The Question Of “Reopening” The Economy
- Prone Positioning Reduced Mortality Rates For COVID-19 Patients With Severe ARDS
- How To Boost Your Immune System Through Food & Drinks In COVID-19 Time
- Trump Threatens To Adjourn Congress In Order To Appoint His Nominees
- New York Governor Andrew Cuomo Orders New Yorkers To Wear Face Coverings In Public
- Trump Is Not Firing Dr. Anthony Fauci Because Firing Dr. Fauci Would Be A Big Mistake
- Trump Claims He Has “Total Authority” To Reopen States’ Economy
- Multi-States Governors Discuss Reopening Plan
- What Is PPP (Paycheck Protection Program) For Small Businesses? Why $ Is Not Getting To Small Businesses Yet
- Why COVID-19 Antibody Test Is Needed Before Reopening
- Update On Stimulus Checks & Unemployment Benefits, 4/13/2020
- Good Friday Around The World & In Florida In Time Of COVID-19
- Tax Filing Deadline Is Delayed By 90 Days, Til July 15
- Captain Brett Crozier, A Hero In Time Of COVID-19
- COVID-19 Press Briefings Of 4/8/2020 – For USA & New York
- Unhappy Floridians Due To Malfunctioned Florida Unemployment Website, Get Your Application Here
- Florida Hospitals Seek Medicaid Hike
- Stay Home! It Will Be Rough In USA In The Next Two Weeks – Death Tolls Will Rise
- British PM Boris Johnson In ICU At St. Thomas’ Hospital
- How About Bill Gates As The COVID-19 Czar?
- Disney’s Non-Union & Non-Essential Employees On Temporary Furloughs Starting 4/19/2020
- Thank You, Taiwan! Let’s Learn From Taiwan!
- CDC Now Recommends Face Coverings When In Public & Absent Federal Leadership
- What To Do If Unemployed In Time Of COVID-19 In USA
- COVID-19 News Update: Over A Million Affected By COVID-19 On Earth, New York State Now The Epicenter
- Musical Adaptations, COVID-19 Style
- Protect Our Healthcare Workers: Let Them Wear Their Masks!!!
- Florida Governor Ron DeSantis Issues Statewide Stay-At-Home Order For The Entire Florida
- How To Enhance: Food Longevity
- Elon Musk, CEO Of Tesla, Will Ship Extra FDA-Approved Ventilators To Hospitals W/In Tesla Delivery Regions
- The Sound Of A Pandemic
- The Race To Develop Offenses & Defense During COVID-19 War Time
- How To Expedite The Production Of Ventilators Needed For COVID-19
- Why Bother Listening To WHO, Learn From Taiwan, Singapore, & South Korea
- USA Now Has The Highest # Of Confirmed COVID-19 Cases In The World, What’s Next?
- Why Is Social Distancing The Best Strategy Against COVID-19
- Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings Signs Stay-At-Home Order, Starting On Thurs., 11:00 PM
- Senate Unanimously Passed $2 Trillion CARES (Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security ) Act
- COVID-19 News Update, 3/24/2020: Governors Are In Charge
- Why The Coronavirus Relief Bill Has Difficulty Passing
- COVID-19 News Update, 3/23/2020
- Unintended Effect Of COVID-19 In Thailand
- Updating COVID-19 News, 3/21/2020: w/Florida Governor DeSantis, 75 Million Americans Ordered To Stay Home
- Good News: Elon Musk May Have Tesla Producing Ventilators To Help U.S. Hospitals
- Stay Home! Party Is Over! We Need To Help With Flattening The Curve!
- Trump Signed The Family First Coronavirus Response Act
- Trump Administration Will Be Sending Checks To American Adults To Ease COVID-19 Outbreak
- Mitt Romney Is Proposing $1,000 UBI Legislation For American Adults During COVID-19 Outbreak
- New York Governor Cuomo Holds News Conference On Coronavirus Response
- U.S. Task Force Provides Update On COVID-19 Pandemic Response, Monday, 3/16/2020
- Manitoba, Canadian Officials Warning People About COVID-19 Related Scams
- Why Is Flattening The Curve Important In Mitigating The Spread Of Coronavirus
- What To Do If You Start Showing Coronavirus Or COVID-19 Symptoms
- Ways Of Boosting Immune System In Time Of Coronavirus
- CDC Recommendations Regarding COVID-19
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act Passed The House On Friday
- Summer Olympic In Tokyo Is On
- Florida Declares Public Health Emergency & All Florida Orange County State Schools Will Be Closed Until March 30
- President Trump Declares National Emergency Due To Global COVID-19 Outbreak
- Bernie Sanders Doubles Down On Medicare For All, In Light Of COVID-19 Or Coronavirus
- Former Vice-President Joe Biden Offers His Roadmap For Coronavirus
- CDC Director Redfield Testifies In Coronavirus Hearing On 3/11/2020
- President Trump Addresses The Nation About COVID-19 & W/Additional Travel Restriction, WHO Declares COVID-19 A Pandemic
- Listen To The Experts, About COVID-19 or Coronavirus
- What’s Been Done & Need To Be Done To Stop The Spread Of COVID-19
- Update On Coronavirus, COVID-19, 3/10/2020
- Italy Extends Nationwide Quarantine & U.S. Dramatic Market Drop
- Stay Informed Of Updated COVID-19 Info, 3/9/2020
- How & What To Prepare For Emergency Food & Supplies
- Alternatives To Handshake
- Global Town Hall: Coronavirus – Facts & Fear & What To Prep For
- U.S. Senate Homeland Security Committee Meeting On Containing The COVID-19
- Congress Agrees On $8.3 Billion Funding To Combat COVID-19 Or Coronavirus
- How To Prevent The Spread Of COVID-19, Novel Coronavirus
- COVID-19 Is Here In Florida, 2 Confirmed Cases, Gov. DeSantis Lays Out Plan
- First Death In USA Due To COVID-19, In King County, Washington State
- Global Economic Impact Of COVID-19
- Masked Mass Wedding in Philippines
- Thank You, Medecins Sans Frontieres (aka: Doctors Without Borders)
- Difference In Opinion Between Trump Administration & Scientists On COVID-19
- Americans Should Get Ready: It Is Not A Question Of “If” But “When” COVID-19 Will Spread In USA
- Understanding Pandemic Of COVID-19
- Need To Prepare & Prevent Potential Pandemic By Looking Into History
- Update Of COVID-19 Or nCoV-2019, As Of Feb. 19, 2020
- American Evacuees From Wuhan Need Your Help
- China Tries 3,000-Year-Old Traditional Remedy on Virus Patients
- For COVID-19 Coronavirus, How Well Do Thermometer Guns Even Work?
- World Health Organization Declares Coronavirus Outbreak An International Emergency
- Wuhan Coronavirus News Update-January 29, 2020
- First American Infected With Wuhan Coronavirus, In Seattle, Washington, Is In Good Condition
- What To Do To Prevent 2019 n-Cov (aka: Wuhan Coronavirus) & Help People in Wuhan
- Update on 2019 nCoV (2019 Coronavirus) Global Impact & How You Can Help Wuhan Hospitals Directly
- Update Of nCoV With Hope In Anti-Viral Drugs
- Latest Update Of nCoV On 2/10/2020
Gathered, written, and posted by Windermere Sun-Susan Sun Nunamaker
More about the community at www.WindermereSun.com
Any comments, suggestions, concerns regarding this post will be welcomed at info.WindermereSun@gmail.com
We Need Fair Value of Solar
~Let’s Help One Another~
Please also get into the habit of checking at these sites below for more on solar energy topics: