What Will You Do This Easter Week/Weekend?
Dear Friends & Neighbors,
(Please click on red links & note magenta)
For those of you who are wondering about the historical background of Easter (in the West, Easter falls on April 1, 2018 and in the East it falls on April 8, 2018), let’s take a look at what wikipedia had to say about this special holiday week/event, in italics, below:
Easter, also called Pascha (Greek, Latin) or Resurrection Sunday, is a festival and holiday celebrating the resurrection of Jesus from the dead, described in the New Testament as having occurred on the third day of his burial after his crucifixion by the Romans at Calvary c. 30 AD. It is the culmination of the Passion of Jesus, preceded by Lent (or Great Lent), a forty-day period of fasting, prayer, and penance.
Most Christians refer to the week before Easter as “Holy Week“—it contains the days of the Easter Triduum, including Maundy Thursday, commemorating the Maundy and Last Supper, as well as Good Friday, commemorating the crucifixion and death of Jesus. In Western Christianity, Eastertide, or the Easter Season, begins on Easter Sunday and lasts seven weeks, ending with the coming of the fiftieth day, Pentecost Sunday. In Eastern Christianity, the season of Pascha begins on Pascha and ends with the coming of the fortieth day, the Feast of the Ascension.
Easter and the holidays that are related to it are moveable feasts which do not fall on a fixed date in the Gregorian or Julian calendars which follow only the cycle of the sun; rather, its date is determined on a lunisolar calendar similar to the Hebrew calendar. The First Council of Nicaea (325) established two rules, independence of the Jewish calendar and worldwide uniformity, which were the only rules for Easter explicitly laid down by the council. No details for the computation were specified; these were worked out in practice, a process that took centuries and generated a number of controversies. It has come to be the first Sunday after the ecclesiastical full moon that occurs on or soonest after 21 March, but calculations vary.
Easter is linked to the Jewish Passover by much of its symbolism, as well as by its position in the calendar. In most European languages the feast called Easter in English is termed by the words for passover in those languages and in the older English versions of the Bible the term Easter was the term used to translate passover. Easter customs vary across the Christian world, and include sunrise services, exclaiming the Paschal greeting, clipping the church, and decorating Easter eggs (symbols of the empty tomb). The Easter lily, a symbol of the resurrection, traditionally decorates the chancel area of churches on this day and for the rest of Eastertide. Additional customs that have become associated with Easter and are observed by both Christians and some non-Christians include egg hunting, the Easter Bunny, and Easter parades. There are also various traditional Easter foods that vary regionally.
There are quite a few events in Central Florida, celebrating Easter or art & craft in the upcoming week, listed below (time in EDT:
- Windermere Easter Egg Hunt: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 10:00 am-12:00 pm/noon, 520 Main Street, Windermere, FL 34786
- Orlando Fire Museum Easter Egg Hunt & Fire Safety & Photo w/Easter Bunny: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 10:00 am-11:30 am, Randall R> Tuten Orlando Fire Museum, 814 East Rollins Street, Orlando, FL 32803
- Egg Ocoee ’18 w/Egg Drop by helicopter & games: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 9:00 am-12:00 pm/noon, Glad Tidings Church, 2009 E. Fullers Cross Rd., Ocoee, FL 34761
- Easter Community Outreach: Saturday, March 31, 2018, 11:00 am-1 0r 2:00 pm, 1250 Piedmont Wekiwa Rd, Apopka, FL 32703
- Good Friday Special Needs Glow in the Dark Egg Hunt, Friday, March 30, 2018, 7:45 pm-8:30 pm, 913 East New York Avenue, DeLand, FL 32724
- Art & Craft Festival, Saturday, March 31, 2018, 10:00 am-5:00 pm and Sunday April 1, 2018, 10:00 am-5:00 pm, Brownwood Paddock Square, 2705 Brownwood Boulevard, The Village, FL 32163
- Exciting Easter Egg Hunt (7000 eggs, win bikes, Easter baskets, etc.) at a Land of Delight Natural Farm, Saturday, March 31, 2018, 1:30 pm-3:00 pm, A Land of Delight Natural Farm & Market, 2514 Learning Pine Lane, Plant City, FL 33565
- Florida’s Biggest Easter Egg Hunt (20,000 candy filled eggs & prizes) , need to register, Sunday, April 1, 2018, 9:00 am-3:00 pm, 3738 River International Drive, Tampa, FL 33610
Below, allow me to share with you many ways to create your own interesting Easter eggs and/or Easter Bunnies, below:
Gathered, written, and posted by Windermere Sun-Susan Sun Nunamaker
More about the community at www.WindermereSun.com
~Let’s Help One Another~
Please also get into the habit of checking at these sites below for more on solar energy topics: