Reduce, Reuse, Recycle This Holiday Season
Dear Friends & Neighbors,
(Please click on red links & note magenta)
This is a reminder for Orange County Recyclers during this holiday season: be sure to place only the acceptable recyclables (plastic bottles and containers, metal cans, glass bottles and jars, cardboard, and paper (including pasteboard such as gift and cereal boxes) into the blue lid recycling roll cart.
Below, are tips to reduce, reuse, and recycle:
- Save ribbons and bows for future holidays.
- Wrapping paper, ribbon, and bows are not recyclable.
- Reusable bags, decorative boxes, or comic section of the newspaper can be used for wrapping gifts.
- Holiday cards and envelopes that are metallic or glittery and do not have a musical chip can be recycled.
- Holiday cards can be cut up to be used as gift tags next year.
- Recycle the flattened cardboard boxes.
- Packing peanuts are not acceptable for recycling.
- Packing peanuts can be reused to mail package by mailing stores that accept and reuse clean foam packing peanuts (check with your local store to see If they participate in this program).
- Plastic bags of any kind are not accepted in the recycling cart. So reuse them at home or bring them to one of the many grocery and retail stores that accept them for recycling.
- String lights are not accepted in the recycling cart. But there are some organizations that will accept string lights for recycling (including some mail-in programs).
- Wooden Christmas trees can be set out on your yard waste collection day. Be sure to remove the stand and all decorations. Trees over six feet tall should be cut in half. Artificial tress that do not fit in the garbage roll cart must be scheduled for large item collection.
**There will be no collection on Monday, December 25, 2017, for garbage, recycling, or yard waste. All collection days will move forward by one day during this holiday week.. New Year’s Day, Monday, January 1, 2018, will be a regularly scheduled collection day.**
Below, are dates and locations for your household hazardous waste (HHW) & electronic waste (E-Waste) disposal:
- Saturday, January 20, 2018, 8:00 am-3:00 pm: Freedom High School, 2500 W. Taft Vineland Road, Orlando, FL
- Saturday, April 14, 2018, 8:00 am-3:00 pm: Orange County Service Building, 475 W. Story Road, Ocoee, FL
Below, are Permanent HHW & E-Waste Drop-Off Locations:
- 7 days a week from 8:00 am-5:00 pm: Orange County Landfill, 5901 Young Pine Road, Orlando, FL
- Wednesdays & Saturdays from 8:00 am-5:00 pm: McLeod Road Transfer Station, 5000 L.B. McLeod Road, Orlando, FL
Examples of HHW are: paint, pesticides, propane tanks, cooking oil, car fluids, fluorescent lightbulbs, etc.
Examples of E-Wastes are: computers, cell phones, etc.
Photographed, gathered, written, and posted by Windermere Sun-Susan Sun Nunamaker
More about the community at www.WindermereSun.com
~Let’s Help One Another~
Please also get into the habit of checking at these sites below for more on solar energy topics: