Orange County Automated Collection Program Tips
Dear Friends & Neighbors,
(Please click on red links & note magenta)
Holiday is quickly approaching, comes with it is the gift wrappings and turkey bones that will need to be disposed of. So, I hope these tips from Orange County below will be of assistance to you:
- Be sure not to mix recyclables, hazardous waste, or yard waste with your garbage. Place bagged household waste inside the GREEN cart and recyclables in BLUE cart (yes, it’s counter intuitive, I agree!).
- Large items such as appliances, furniture, matresses, and up to 4 automobile or pick truck tires must be scheduled for collection by calling the Orange County Utilities Solid Waste Hotline at 407-836-6601. Large item collection is limited to 3 cubic yards.
- Place all recyclables in the roll cart with the BLUE lid:
- Newspapers and advertisements
- Pasteboard (cereal and shoe boxes, and empty paper towel and toilet paper rolls)
- Paper bags
- Phone books
- Magazines and catalogs
- Junk mail
- Flattened corrugated cardboard boxes
- Office, writing, and note paper
- Metal cans (tin, aluminum, and steel)
- Glass bottles and jars
- Juice and milk cartons
- Empty aerosol cans
- Plastic bottles and containers labeled #1-#5
- Do not use plastic bags for recycling
III. Yard Waste:
- Yard waste collection is for all vegetative landscaping material as well as grass, tree, and shrub trimmings.
- Collection is limited to 3 cubic yards per week.
- Use garbage cans provided by residents or plastic bags for collection. Bundle limbs, palm fronds, and similar items into lengths of 3 feet or less and securely tie them with string or twine. Each can, bag, or bundle must weigh less than 60 pounds. Tree stumps should be cut in lengths of 3 feet or less and each piece must weigh less than 60 pounds.
IV. Tips for Problem-Free Collection Service
- Place material out by 6:00 am the day of collection to ensure you do not miss the collection truck. Collection crews have until 8:00 pm to complete each route.
- Place roll carts with at least 3 feet of clearance at the curb.
- Roll carts should be placed away from the mailbox, parked cars, and low-hanging tree limbs. The handles should be facing your house.
- DO NOT MIX yard waste, garbage, and recyclables.
- Containers, bundles, and bags for yard waste must weigh less than 60 pounds when full. Cans must be 50 gallons or less in capacity with tight-fitting lids and handles on the sides.
- Remove roll carts and containers from the curb within 12 hours after pickup.
- Material not set out properly will be tagged. Please call the Orange County Utilities Solid Waste Hotline at 407-836-6601.
- If your cart is damaged or stolen, please call the Orange County Utilities Solid Waste Hotline at 407-836-6601 for a replacement.
- Automobile parts, hazardous waste, and freon-containing devices, such as freezers and refrigerators, are not included in your curbside collection program.
***Collection will be provided as scheduled on all holidays except Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. When Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day fall on a regular scheduled collection day, collection shall be one day after the normally scheduled collection day for the rest of the week.***
For questions or concerns regarding garbage, recycling, yard waste, and large item pickup, please call the Orange County Utilities Solid Waste Hotline at 407-836-6601. Website: www.ocfl.net/GreenClean and email address: [email protected]
Photographed, gathered, written, and posted by Windermere Sun-Susan Sun Nunamaker
More about the community at www.WindermereSun.com
~Let’s Help One Another~
Please also get into the habit of checking at these sites below for more on solar energy topics: