President Donald Trump’s First Address To Congress
Dear Friends & Neighbors,
(Please click on red links & note magenta)
Last night, President Trump addressed before Congress for the first time, in the House Chamber, with some specific agenda in mind. It was by far the best speech he has given. But before going into specific points, he stated, below:
“The time for small thinking is over. The time for trivial fights is behind us. We just need the courage to share the dreams that fill our hearts, the bravery to express the hopes that still our souls and the confidence to turn those hopes and dreams to action. From now on America will be empowered by our aspirations, not burdened by our fears.”
President Trump realized this was the opportunity to reframe his presidency, to overcome his chaotic first month in office and his all-time low in approval rating. This was the speech that would lay down the ground work that will help to determine how much of his ambitious agenda will get through the Congress and campaign promises will be kept. Some of the main topics or dramatic shifts covered in this speech are:
- Immigration Reform: President Trump indicated that it is the right time to pass a comprehensive immigration bill that could potentially allow millions of undocumented immigrants to stay in USA legally. He still wants the wall to be built and increased enforcement at the borders.
- Obamacare: President Trump called to Congress to repeal and replace Obamacare. Details on this issue is still vague and uncertain.
- Tax Reform: Lowering corporation tax and $3 trillion tax breaks for the top 1%. Whether or not this would lead to greater revenue for the country remains to be seen.
- Military/Defense/Pentagon Spending: The $84 billion funding for Pentagon will be coming from slashing programs that would benefit elderly, sick, working class, and the poor. At a time when USA military spending is greater than the next twelve countries combined, the wisdom of this spending is questionable.
- Infrastructure: President Trump has proposed a $trillion plan, building and investing in our nation’s roads, highways, and water system while creating well paying jobs for American people . This is the right direction, but the question is how these projects would be financed. Furthermore, the goal for clean air and water would be difficult to achieve with President Trump’s recent executive order rolling back former President Obama’s clean water rules.
- Foreign Relations: “America is willing to find new friends and to forge new partnerships where shared interests align.” It would be interesting to see if such new friends will extend beyond Russia.
***What I liked the most about President Trump’s address to Congress: proposal of each regulation being introduced or passed in the future should retire two existing regulations. It’s about time!***
President Trump’s speech was very presidential, with many of his campaign promises addressed. But Senator Bernie Sanders maintains his vigilant position and reminded us some of the other important issues missing from the address, such as social security, medicare or medicaid, income/wealth inequality, campaign finance and voting suppression, climate change, broken criminal justice system, need to make college education tuition free (college student debts or affordability of college tuition ), draining the swamp, etc. For a view of what Senator Bernie Sanders said, please view the video below:
More about the community at www.WindermereSun.com
~Let’s Help One Another~
Please also get into the habit of checking at these sites below for more on solar energy topics: