Consider Having An Egg For Breakfast As A Way To Control Weight
Dear Friends & Neighbors,
(Please click on red links & note magenta)
Eggs, such simple and incredibly versatile ingredient, are exceptionally nutritious and can be quite filling. Over 90% of an egg’s calcium and iron are found in yolk while about half of the egg’s protein in egg white. There are many reasons to develop the habit of eating an egg in the morning for breakfast, namely:
- Eggs may be equated to superfood. A single boiled egg contains:
- Vitamin A (6% of the RDA*) *RDA-Recommended Daily Allowance
- Folate (5% of the RDA)
- Vitamin B5 (7% of the RDA)
- Vitamin B12 (9% of the RDA)
- Vitamin B2 (15% of the RDA)
- Phosphorus (9% of the RDA)
- Selenium (22% of the RDA)
- Eggs also contain decent amounts of Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Calcium and Zinc.
- Although eggs are high in cholesterol, the cholesterol in eggs does not necessarily raise cholesterol in blood. Studies have shown that eggs did not raise cholesterol at all in 70% of people and eggs only mildly raised total and LDL cholesterol in the other 30%.
- Mostly, eggs raise HDL (healthy) cholesterol. It was found that those who consumed two eggs per day for six weeks saw their HDL increase by 10% and that people with higher levels of HDL usually have a lower risk of heart disease, stroke, and various other health problems.
- Eggs contain choline, an important nutrient that 90% of the U.S. population are not getting enough of. It is used to build cell membranes and plays a role in the production of signaling molecules in the brain. Whole eggs are an excellent source of choline.
- Eggs may convert LDL cholesterol particles from small and dense to large. This change in particles has been linked to reduced risk of heart disease.
- Lutein and Zeaxanthin, two antioxidants found in eggs, are beneficial for eye health. Studies have shown that consuming adequate amounts of these nutrients can significantly reduce the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration. Eggs also contain substantial amount of vitamin A, nutrient that helps to reduce blindness.
- Eggs rich in omega-3, have a greater chance of reducing blood levels of triglycerides, a risk factor for heart disease. Hens raised on pasture and/or fed omega-3 enriched foods tend to lay eggs that have a much higher omega-3 fatty acids content.
- Eggs are great source of protein, the main building blocks of the human body. Eggs contain all the essential amino acids in the right ratios easily absorbed by human body. Eating adequate amount of protein may also help with weight loss, increasing muscle mass, lowering blood pressure, and optimizing bone health. One single large egg contains 6 grams of protein.
- Eggs may actually reduce the risk of a stroke.
- Eggs score high on the Satiety Index, inducing feelings of fullness and reducing subsequent calorie intake. In one study of 30 overweight women, it was found that eating eggs instead of bagels for breakfast increased feelings of fullness and induced fewer calories during the following 36 hours. It was also found that eating an egg for breakfast caused significant weight loss over a period of 8 weeks.
Perhaps it is worth considering having an egg for breakfast as a way to keep your/our weight under control?!
And there are so many different ways to enjoy this wonderfully simple and versatile ingredient/food, below!
Any comments, suggestions, concerns regarding this post will be welcomed at info.WindermereSun@gmail.com
More about the community at www.WindermereSun.com