What To Do For Floridians To Go Solar
Dear Friends & Neighbors,
(Please click on red links & note magenta)
I am getting more messages from people in different parts of the state of Florida wanting to go solar, but do not know how. So, I’d like to repost part of an earlier post to help forage the path, below:
Here are some points to consider in order to help you to take part in solar energy use
I. I want you to be aware of all the incentive programs (to save money) for installing renewable/solar energy & energy efficiency in USA and FL.
II. Find a local installer to receive an estimate of what type or how big of a solar system is suitable for your particular needs. All solar installers I’ve come across so far would be able to provide such an estimate free of charge. If you live in Tampa, FL area, mention that you’ve found out about SEM and solar co-op from Windermere Sun, then you can get a discount with SEM. For those in other parts of the Florida, mention Windermere Sun first before negotiating for a discount.
*Keep in mind that if you can get your money back:
- in 7 years by installing solar system, that is equivalent to about 14.3% rate of return (1/7 = 0.1428)
- in 8 years by installing solar system, that is equivalent to about 12.5% rate of return (1/8 = 0.125)
- in 9 years by installing solar system, that is equivalent to about 11.1% rate of return (1/9 =0.111…)
The stock market cannot guarantee such a good deal. It’s a no brainer! Any one who plans on being alive in 10+ years would do well to install solar.
III. To help reduce the cost of installing solar panels (perhaps by as much as 20%), you may want to consider joining or starting a Solar Co-Op. In Central Florida, there is a West Orange Solar Co-Op and an Orlando and Winter Park Solar Co-Op that is also open to homeowners East of I-4. In a recent Central Florida Solar Advocates meetup meeting that took place on Dec. 2, 2015, these are discussed, below:
- Attend an Information Session: Learn about going solar and how solar co-ops work.
- Join Your Local Co-op: Sign up on line! Any one can participate. The only requirement is that you want to go solar!
- Get a Roof Review: Your roof is reviewed via satellite to make sure it’s a good fit for solar energy.
- Solicit Local Bids: Once the co-op has 20-30 members, a request for proposal is created based on co-op members priorities and bids are solicited from installers.
- Review Bids as a Group: Co-op members form a selection committee to review bids and select a single installer to complete all of the projects.
- Get Individualized Proposal: Homeowner meets with the chosen installer to get an individualized proposal for a solar system for your home. This proposal will reflect the group discount.
- Sign an Individualized Contract: Homeowner signs a contract directly with the installer.
- Installation: Have your solar panels installed on your home!
- Celebrate: Celebrate with the co-op and help start other co-ops in your community!
If you have any questions, please feel free to email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about these co-ops or join a solar co-op, visit: www.cfsolaradvocates.org
IV. If you live in an apartment or in a house that is shaded, even though you may not be able to take advantage of the solar energy via your own rooftop, you may still be able to participate in solar energy use via Community Solar Garden/Farm. Check out what’s been accumulated at Sun Is The Future about Start A Community Solar Garden/Farm
Please feel free to contact Paul Spencer of Clean Energy Collective or Joy Hughes of Solar Gardens for the benefit of their experience in developing Community Solar Gardens/Farms.
V. If you need to get a loan or any financial assistance in order to participate in solar energy use, please consider these avenues, below:
- Obtaining a loan via Kiva, then contact Sunisthefuture Team at Kiva by email: email@example.com so Sunisthefuture Team at Kiva will help to promote for the funding of this loan.
- Obtaining a loan via Mosaic, then contact Sun Is The Future by email: firstname.lastname@example.org so Sun Is The Future will help to promote for the funding of this loan.
- Obtaining a grant via one of the crowdfunding platforms, then contact Sun Is The Future by email: email@example.com so Sun Is The Future will be able to help promote for your campaign. Different platforms have different conditions. So be sure to take care in choosing the appropriate ones for you.
- If you live in Windermere, FL area and is obtaining either a solar loan or a solar grant via any of the avenues above, be sure to contact Windermere Sun by email: info.WindermereSun@gmail.com so Windermere Sun will be able to help promote for your loan or grant.
VI. For those of you who truly have difficulty in affording the installation cost of solar, do not forget the recent victory at the Florida State Supreme Court, explained in this post. There is something you can do to help improve the chance of lowering your future utility bills, by obtaining more signatures to improve the chance of Floridians For Solar Choice ballot .
May you/we all be able to enjoy the warmth and energy of Sunshine for many decades to come….
More about the community at www.WindermereSun.com
Any comments, suggestions, concerns regarding this post will be welcomed at info.WindermereSun@gmail.com
More about the community at www.WindermereSun.com